Monday, August 13, 2012

It's a small world after all...

Although I have a VERY good reason for not liking that particular Disney tune, it did come to mind today at the McDonald's at the train station. We were on our way back from a visit to the Hospital (more about that later)when we decided, by "nose goes" (ask Bennett), to eat at McDonald's. On our way out of the restaraunt, I noticed to very tall young men one of which was carrying a yellow and blue backpack (the colors of the Ukrainian flag) with the words "Ukraine" written in long streaming sentences. It was very unusual and I decided to stop and ask about it. Anyone who knows me very well knows that I do that alot with people I don't know. I told him how much I liked the way his backpack looked and I asked him where he got it. He said he played on a team and it came with the uniform. The basketball on his shirt should have been my first...actually second clue since he was very tall...I asked him what he played? Of course bb was his answer...duh! I then resorted to an old trick of mine. I asked him to look over in the distance, which he did, and I told him that NOW I would quietly take his bag and perhaps he wouldn't even notice! He laughed and said 'nyet', (no), that he would definately notice and that HE needed it. I snapped my fingers (as in "oh...foiled again") and we laughed. I told him about my youngest son playing bb for years and how much he enjoyed it. We laughed and went our separate ways. As we got on van 101, I believe it was Sharon who pointed out our friends from the McDonald's. We laughed at being together again and I paid for their ride. I explained I HAD to since they were so good about me teasing them about the backpack. As we rode together, 101 is quite a long route, they asked questions about America, professional sports, go Mavericks, (their favorites being Oklahoma and Golden State)and general family things. I asked Rita to invite them to the bb camp that will happen next summer in Dneper. Here is where the "small world" part comes in. They had not only heard about the basketball camps, they had attended the one four years ago. They remembered Steve Carter, from Bentonville, AR, and the pizza party he threw the whole camp one afternoon. I told them I would let Steve know that they remembered the camp. Maxim, the tallest of the two, said he would love to give me his bag but he had no way of replacing it. I, of course, told him I admired the bag, but could not possibly take it even if he could give it to me. He was so quiet and unassuming. I liked him immediately! Igor was his friend, and not one to say much. His bag was plain black, and I told him "neh...not interesting enough" he laughed and said it was because he didn't play on the team yet. They were both very quiet and polite, they gave up their seats to some old grannies...I mean...two very pretty girls who got on the van. (it is STILL very polite to be willing to give up your seat on a long van route like 101) As we were nearing our destination, METRO (much like a Sam's or Costco's), Maxim pulled out a plastic card that looked almost like a debit card. He told Rita it was an actual free pass to one of his clubs games, and that he wanted me to have it as a souveneer. (I am so sure I spelled that word correctly!) It was just sweet of him to offer an old lady he didn't even know, and will probably never see again, something of value! We got off the bus and I told them I hoped they won a lot of games and wished them the best. They said something like "have a good life", and waved us off. A random meeting in a McDonald's brings together people that crossed paths four years ago and didn't even know it. Isn't God amazing? And it is a small world after all...especially when you are trying to impact someone for God! Possibly...next summer...Maxim and Igor will return to basketball camp and be reached by the Gospel story told there among the playing time! till another adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment