Friday, August 17, 2012

And now you know...

One of the first families I stayed with in Dnepropetrovsk was Dima and Larissa's. I have come to love them as my own family. Dima is like the brother I never had, and Larissa would fit right in to my family of four sisters. When you have four girls already...what is one more? I met Larissa and Dima in 1997 while teaching in a school building very close to their house. I had decided to take my class ourside because it was very hot inside the school building. Larissa was walking past the school and heard English being spoken and was very curious. Her daughter was taking English classes in school, and they tried to use every opportunity for Masha to practice her skills and learn even more English. As it happened, Rita, one of the interpreters, had been Dima's English teacher in school so that was another "in" for them to come to us. Masha began taking my classes after that. She was a delightful blonde bundle of energy and charisma. An only child, she was doted on by two parents who obviously loved her dearly. I came to know her parents better, and they became acquainted with members of the church I attended while here in Ukraine. Larissa studied with them and became a Christian later that year. The next year I stayed at their place and REALLY got to know their family very well and REALLY fell in love with them. Dima became a Christian after I went back to the States. It was another couple of years before Mashe decided to follow in her parents footsteps. I got the privilege and joy to stay with them again, and began to feel like Dima was the big brother I had always wanted to have. He is very dear to me, and I can not imagine not knowing this wonderful family! Every year when I get the chance to return to Dneper, they make it a point to invite me to come over and fellowship with them and share a meal together. This year was only different in that I had two of my dear friends from Texas with me. Their philosophy is the more the merrier, so we all came over to their place. I have spoken often and lovingly of what this family means to me, so Sharon has heard a lot about them over the years. I was so excited to share them up close and personal. She now fully understands why I love them so much. Dima met us several blocks from their home. Our interpreter, Jane, wasn't sure of the exact location of their home, so Dima volunteered to meet us at the cross roads. I was fairly certain I could find it, but didn't want to take a chance on getting us all lost. (I should have trusted my gut!) When Jane told him I thought I knew where I was going he let me lead the way. I think he was surprised that I was right on target and turned exactly where I needed to. (a couple of years ago, a different group of friends chose to wander around rather than let me tell them where to turn...oh well...)As I walked up their block, sweet memories came flooding back to me...Dima sleeping outside in their chicken shed so that I would have a bed to myself and have to share with their daughter...my little fan blowing out the entire blocks electricity...Larissa getting the life altering washing machine...the trip into the forest...the night cruise on the Dneper...I could go on and on!! Sitting at their table, looking at what Larissa had so carefully prepared for us to eat...it so reminded me of sitting at my Grandmother Martin's table. There were several options of what to eat, all carefully and lovingly cooked for our pleasure. We were treated to buckwheat (prepared properly, I might add), along with chicken with mushroom gravy, ground chicken cutlets, Greek salad, tasty breads, fresh fruit and juice or water. For dessert a homemade treat that looked and tasted much like soppapia's or the fried batter with powdered sugar on top that you eat at the fair! A feast fit for a king...and yet it was just a few friends from Texas that they worked so hard to feed! Sitting with them, sharing good food and better conversation, was such a refreshment to our souls. It felt like... home...that is what it felt like. It felt like it does when Rick and I get together with the Andersen family for our "Andersen fix". Love and laughter shared around a common table transcends time and place...Ukraine or Texas....it feels the same. And to get to share that with Sharon and Bennet and have them feel it as well...it doesn't get much better than this. Dima gave us a ride home in the little green hornet. (sometimes I call it the booger car because it reminds me of a car I once owned that had that moniker) Believe me, it was a tight squeeze with Bennet in the front and Sharon, Jane and me in the back! The tires rubbed every time it moved, even with us sitting up as close to the front seat as we could. Dima assured us it was because of some heavy items in the trunk...I know what you are thinking so knock it off...we leaned up in spsite of his disclaimer! Sharon leaned over to me (after Jane was dropped at her flat) and told me she understood why I loved this family so much. It felt good that someone besides me was feeling just how I did. I so wanted Sharon and Bennett to see Ukraine in the same way that I do...to love them just like I do...to "get it" and understand WHY I keep coming back year after year! I believe that they do...and they may even be "hooked" like I am! till the next adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment