Thursday, August 28, 2014

A mother's heart is the same in Ukraine or in Texas...

I am the very proud mother of two sons who have both served their country in the United States Army. William, my oldest, joined right out of high school and served in the regular Army for 4 or 5 years, I can't remember. Joseph is currently serving in the Arny National Guard. He has been in a since the twins were fairly little (they are 8 now). When I hear of a young boy being killed, or see the bodies on the t.v. I can't help but remember my own two sons. I am proud of their service...I want them to serve...it is just the thought of long term injury or death that takes my breath away! I can't bear the thought... The Army here in Ukraine is...well it is...umhhh...it is Ukrainian. It will always bring to my mind how grateful I am that they served the US Army. As many things as there are to complain about...not one holds watr against the situation here. I can't even describe it. Today, we went to a city check point and delivered supplies to the soldiers there. Bsics: water, coffee, tea, cookies... The whole city is gathering together basic necessities for them, much like we do in natural disaster relief situations. It is still rather mind boggling to me. Later, we delivered supplies, food, and clothing to the Veterans Hospital. I have such a heart for veterans, my Father and Father-in-Law both served, several uncles served, both sons and a couple of Jarhead nephews served. I don't believe the very worst Veteran's Hospital I've seen or been in even compares to what these soldiers are staying in. (Like a MASH unit with less amenities.) The walls in the halls had many hand written and colored pages from area school children. They were all full of words of love and encouragment for their soldiers. It touchd my heart. I am not here on a mission to "choose sides"...I am not here to represent the USA in this sitution...I am here as the mother of two soldiers who "gets" the drama and pain of being afraid for your children in "war" time... I am here to minister in whatever small way, to those injured and in pain with little or no resources, as I beleive everyone who truly believes that God was right when He said to love your neighbor as yourself. My first mission is to the orphans and widows...then encourage the local church...and reach out to those who are lost without Him. As part of thst mission to reach out to the lost, I am never sure where God will lead me, possibly the decrepid halls of a Ukrainian Veterans Hospital. I just have to be ready to go. till we talk again...

No comments:

Post a Comment